TIPS TO MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER
8 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Call for estimates from three professional Movers.
6 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Inventory all possessions now. Decide what to move, sell, replace or donate to charity.
- Complete Canada Post “Change of Address” forms; mail to media, stores, organizations etc.
- Obtain copies of all medical, dental, legal, accounting, veterinarian records etc.
- Make appointments for record transfers between schools on both ends of move.
- Itemize moving related costs with mover including packing, loading, special charges, insurance etc.
4 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Repair, send out for re-upholstery, or clean furniture, drapes, carpeting as necessary.
- If a professional mover is packing your goods, schedule packing day(s), one or two days before the move.
- If moving yourself, order adequate boxes, packing materials and tape now.
- Arrange for short-term or long-term storage if you will need it.
- Make travel arrangements for boarding services, including necessary medical records, immunizations, etc.
3 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Assemble sufficient supply of packing materials, equipment. Pack items you won’t use immediately or that will go into storage.
- Contact utilities on both ends of the move, order termination and/or turn-on for occupancy date.
- Confirm final travel arrangements for family and pets.
2 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Terminate newspaper and other delivery services.
1 WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
- Gather important papers, records, valuables, for protecting shipment to new home or safe deposit box.
- Notify friends and neighbors of new address, (and phone number if possible).
- Make plans for pets and/or young children to be cared for on moving day.
- Fill any prescriptions, medications needed for the next two weeks.
THE WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
- Plan simple meals for moving day (or take-out food) to avoid using the refrigerator.
- Pack items you need to take with you including valuables, financial records, personal papers etc.
- Carefully mark LAST BOX PACKED – FIRST BOX UNPACKED Containing tools, flashlights, snacks, coffee, tea, soap, toilet paper, medicine or anything you can’t live without.